Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Voice assistants as every day augmented reality

Voice assistants as every day augmented reality
Recently I'm heavily testing and using different types of voice assistants like Google now, Cortana, Siri, S-voice. Everything I can, I try to test. During this time I can see how good example of daily augmented reality they are. But hey, this is nothing new. When I think about this technology and future of it I'm getting happy like a child, thanks to this voice assistants.




Time when device understands you. Are we there yet ?

I think we're pretty close but not yet on the finish line. Sure, we can give some less and more complex commands to our device, and we can get a good result but still this is not something what I would call "understanding". Currently our voice assistants allow us to interact with the device in much more comfortable way. Especially when you`re in the car or even while walking. At the moment most of reminders, meetings, messages etc. I'm doing using this kind of software and it works fine. I must say I'm missing a good glass in front of my eye to see more information. I would prefer to read SMS myself than to hear it…maybe it will change. I would like to see some basic information, navigation etc. This is what I want. Google glass was to much disturbing in my opinion, it was cause mostly by it construction. I hope that next generation will be better.

Time when device understands you. Are we there yet ?

This is hard question to answer. Is it safer ? Not everybody will agree with that, there are even voices that glasses with augmented reality are much more dangerous during driving car than mobile phone. Is this true ? I'm not sure, I think it is much more about the user. Should some functionalities be blocked during driving ? This may be a good idea.
So safety is not a good argument. Is it convenience ? It looks like this but currently if you have different accent than native than you can have a lot of problems using it. For example Cortana has a lot of problems with understanding me when I tell her to ignore something. Strange, so simple word, so many problems. Often you can have a lot of problems with voice control and you need to use the device in old school way. Probably it will change in future. So this is not the best argument.
It is cool. Oh yes, always :) Funny thing that IT is one of not many branches were argument like "this will be awesome even if it won't be useful" is more than enough to make a good project.

Voice assistant is cool but not so useful

I think currently voice assistants are more cool than useful. It look good on paper, it looks good on presentation, their are good marketing material and good start for future but currently - unfortunately - their not so useful. We have still some technological problems that are stoping this projects a bit. I hope that it will go further and further. I like very much vision from movie "Her" (I've already mentioned about it in one of previous posts), where people can fully interact with their computers simply by voice. Not only simple commands, but full interaction. I think that we're going this way and sooner or later we'll get there. Is it good ? Time will show


0 komentarze:

Post a Comment